Sunday, July 20, 2014

Holy Humbling, Batman!

My ego was seriously out of control when it came to writing a query. That has changed!

Oh my gosh! Writing a query SUCKS! I remember when I first started this whole writing thing (with queries and such). I thought I totally understood what it meant to write a query. I even spent the last three years querying books and getting rejections. I was convinced that the query was solid. Well, guess what?! It wasn't.

I mentioned in my last post that I hired someone to assist with my query writing. I'm not sure if she wants me saying her name on here, so I'll hold it in for now, but she's kicking my butt. In a good way. I get to try five times with my query. Each time, she breaks it apart leaving me with quite a bit to think about when I get it back. It's really hard.

I actually commented about how hard it's getting and she said that it should be hard. If it weren't I wasn't doing it right. Three years ago, I would have scoffed it off. Hell, two months ago, I probably would have, but now, I am getting it. She's pushing me like no one has before and this is just with my query. I'm getting seriously nervous about what she has to say about my manuscript. Holy Moly!

This is such a humbling experience. I know I can't be the only writer who has been down this path of having the ego ripped out from under you like an area rug. I am a student all over again. I like it. :)

Anyone have a similar story? I'd love to hear about it. I'm off to work the query again. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment