Monday, July 7, 2014

Feeling Punny :)

My children both bought fish last week after a year of begging and pleading. Though we already own two dogs, two cats, and have been through guinea pigs, ferrets, and more, they broke us. My daughter wanted a Betta, so she got one. His name is Albert. That's a good name, right? Then she thought Albert was lonely, so today we got her Cami (named after my husband's grandmother). They're beautiful fish. I just hope I don't end up with a tank of babies.

My son, on the other hand, is a "writer" like me. He likes playing with the English language, which is pretty awesome for a 9 year old. Anyway, he wanted to standard goldfish. They were .29 each, so I wasn't sure how long they'd last. Their names were Gillbert and Finsley. Like the fish puns? I know I did. Well, Gillbert was the first to go. He lasted one day before sinking to the bottom of the tank and staying there. This was the first pet of my son's to die, so we had a funeral over the toilet. Everyone said something sweet, and my son mourned the loss of his friend. Later that day, we went back to the pet store and bought a much more substantial fish - an Oranda Goldfish. This fish was $5.00. He better live. Initially, my son wanted to name him Gillbert 2, but then we got a little more creative. Now his name is Gillmore. Get it? LOL! More gills. He cracks me up. Gillmore is doing very well. Yesterday, though, Finsley went "belly up". My son woke me up this morning to tell me. I got up, got the net, scooped Finsley out, and again, we had a funeral over the toilet. My husband, son and I all said something sweet. My daughter said, "maybe the tank is cursed." She's 11, going on 20. Anyway, we went to the store and bought another Oranda. This one's name is, are you ready for it, Finagain. Cracking me up! Both Orandas are doing great. We hope these will last a while.

The lesson I learned from this is that being a reader rubbed off on my daughter. She reads a book a week. Being a writer rubbed off on my son. He likes to make stories regularly. Both traits are fantastic and I wouldn't trade it for the world. It makes me smile to see my kids embracing the English language.

That's it for now.

Have a punny day! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment