Monday, May 26, 2014

Letting Go

There are so many things in life that we have absolutely no control over. As much as I want to be able to control 100% of everything I do, it is truly impossible, and that has taken me a long time to figure out.

In California, we are suffering a horrible drought. With minimal snow pack during this past winter, our lakes are drying up. The problem is there is nothing any of us can do to make it rain enough to fill them up. It's out of our control.

LAKE FOLSOM, CA

In my life, I try to control so much around me...my kids, my pets, my husband, my job etc. Much to my dismay, that doesn't work either. 

As a writer, I almost have total control over what I write. I know that that may sound strange, but just like with nature and my life, sometimes, I just have to let go and allow the story to write itself. When I start writing something (even a blog post), I have it all planned out in my head, but then something happens. The words go in a different direction, and for control freaks like me, this can be terrifying. It makes me want to scream, cry, laugh, sigh, and everything else in between.


Once I calm myself down and finish whatever it is I was doing when the crazy happened, I can see that everything ultimately works out in the end. And most of the time, it resulted in something way better than I could have expected. That happens with my life as well. After years of attempting to learn, I have come to the conclusion that sometimes you have to let go. Let go of all the fears, anxiety, stress, and all the rest and just let life happen. Attempting to control the universe will only lead to one thing, and that is misery and in my case misery does not love company. 

Now I'm off to write. I'm going to rewrite a WIP that I initially wrote in third person, and switch to first. It's a little scary, but I'm going to let go and see where it takes me. Off to write....

No comments:

Post a Comment