Monday, December 31, 2012

Reflecting on 2012

It's time to reflect on 2012, and oh my, has a lot gone on.

When the year started, we were happily content in Sierra Vista, Arizona. We had no idea this year would go the way it had. I was midway through my eighth year at Buena and taking part in all things Common Core. Whew that was a big task! February came and went, but then March the world went topsy turvy. Mike's job became a question, and we decided that the annual stress of "will the contract be renewed" wasn't worth it any longer. So, we decided to move. This secret was one that we held close to us for the next four months. He got a job in California, and received confirmation the day after school got out. I searched for a job, but it's not that easy when you live out of state. I was lucky, though, and my current school agreed to interview me over the phone and then again, when I arrived in California. We thought about buying a house, and then renting a house, but when we discovered it would less expensive to buy, we found the perfect house online. I sent my aunt to check it out, and when she said it was nice (the model), we put in an offer. We bought a house sight unseen. A lot of people said that was crazy, but nothing we do is ever conventional. LOL! (We laugh now). Anyway, we moved in July, I secured my job, and we unpacked. With all of this stress came a few trips to the doctor...hives, hair falling out, lump in throat, etc. After all proper screening was done, we established I was healthy, just under a lot of stress. Oh well.

My school year started, an hour from my house. My children started their new school, and my husband started his job. All was going kind of as planned. Then the other shoe dropped. Mike hated his job, so, about two weeks ago, we decided that he was going to quit and go back to school. He wants to be a high school history teacher. This means that he's going to be a stay at home dad, full time student, and we will live off of my salary. As always, we are going to make it work. After all, we've been through worse...war, two reconstructive kidney surgeries, living in multiple states, etc. We will make it.

That being said, 2012 was an adventure. Good has come from it all. We are back in California with our family. Back where it all started, though, we are two hours north of our parents and home towns. Our kids in a top rated school in the state, and loving it. Our daughter was just accepted into GATE, which we've been waiting on since we came here, and our son is thriving in the new environment. They have even made quite a few friends. I'm enjoying my job and getting used to the drive. And my husband is finally happy.

For 2013, I look forward to a calmer year...I hope. I do have goals of writing, editing, possibly publishing. I haven't given up on that, but as you can see, I've been a little busy.

I hope you all had a wonderful year, and I wish you an even better one ahead of us.

Happy New Year! Let's ring it in with a smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment