Sunday, December 9, 2012

Handling and Overcoming Stress

This last nine months have been stressful, to say the least. For those of you who don't know, my husband and I decided to move from Arizona to California last March. This meant finding new jobs, deciding where to live, buying a house, renting out our old house, and so much more. We made the move in July, but two weeks prior, I thought I had had enough. So much so that I broke out into hives (from head to toe). This was an extremely new concept for me. Anyway, they didn't last long, and we made the move to Northern California. My first Friday in town, I interviewed for my current job and crossed that task off the list. My husband had already nailed down his career change before we left.

Some might say, "be thankful for a job." I am, believe me; however, after 13 years of commuting less than 10 minutes to school, my new job is no less than an hour from my house. That took some adjusting. My kids started their new school, and love it. Of course, making new friends, learning new procedures, teachers, etc. took its toll on them as well, but they, too, have made the most of it. My husband is also settling into his new career nicely as well.

Anyway, now we are at the holidays. I really thought I had it all under control, but last month, the hives came back and my hair started falling out (I'm totally healthy - I had a blood workup after that). Everyone keeps saying the same thing..."take something off your plate." After a second bout of hives, I decided that their advice might be right. I am taking a break from teaching online and focusing on my full time job, teaching and being a mom. But even then, comes stress. In order to hold onto my CA teaching certificate, I needed to take the CBEST. Well, I took it yesterday and passed. I already feel a little bit better. I'm done Christmas shopping, and today I plan on tackling wrapping. We aren't spending Christmas at our house this year, so I don't have to worry about making it immaculate. There won't be any grocery shopping for Christmas dinner or Christmas Eve. All I need to worry about packing and driving to the inlaws. I'm taking it one day at a time. I only have two weeks left in the semester, and then we have two weeks off. I think I might actually survive.

As I reflect on all of this, I realize that we are never given more than we can handle, but that's a little subjective. I am overcoming all of the stress, and I'm finding ways to deal with it better. The one outlet I haven't tapped as much as I could is writing. So, that brings me to this post.

I'm not sure how many people actually read my blog, or what they are getting out of it, but I like to think that my blog is a sign that I'm not only human, but I'm normal. I can't be the only person in the universe who has had to deal with stressful times, and I'm not the only one who has overcome it. I hope that anyone who reads this particular post find comfort knowing that no one is perfect, and we will all make it through this thing called life.

Have a great week, if I don't get on here again til the weekend.

J

No comments:

Post a Comment