Thursday, November 29, 2012

NaNo Fail

OK, so I think I went about NaNo all wrong this year. My goal was to finish a piece of work I started last year. I already had around 30K written, so I thought I could write 20k...no problem. I even geared up for it all October by rereading and editing my WIP. I was so ready to tackle the beast. But then reality happened and I remembered that I have a job, family, and the holidays. How do writers get it all done? My new job (remember I moved from AZ to CA) at a new school has been KICKING MY BUTT. The schedule moves much quicker because it's on a block and not traditional. I may have less students, but somehow, I have more grading. For the first time in 13 years, I'm bringing A LOT of work home. That is certainly taking precedence over my writing. When I finish grading, I help the kids by feeding them, helping with homework, snuggling, etc. By the time they go to bed at 8pm, I'm ready to follow them, but then that wouldn't be fair to my husband who waits patiently to tell me about his day (new job/career).  I'm swamped.

I have taken a hiatus from teaching online with hopes to write for me, but it's not happening. :( Yesterday, I purposely didn't bring work home...I was going to write. I made dinner right away and then sat down in front of my computer. I fell asleep. It was 6:30pm and I slept. I managed to go upstairs and stay awake for an hour somewhere between 7:30 and 8:30, but then I was quickly back asleep and peaceful until my alarm went off at 5:30. Clearly I was tired.

I have no plans this weekend, other than cleaning my garage. While I've been working, I did manage to send my WIP off to a beta who gratefully sent it back a few days ago. I printed her version and mine, gathered post its, tabs, pens. I'm ready. That is my mission...to write. I have been saying this for a few days, but I really think this weekend it's going to happen. I even made a new play list on my new 5. It's only songs I REALLY like. I'm hoping they'll inspire me to move my fingers and create story. :)

OK, enough of me complaining. I wish you all the best with your writing. I know I'm not the only one struggling with writing and the holiday season and work and family. Let's commiserate together. Feel free to share on here.

J

No comments:

Post a Comment