Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Make Lemonade

So, some of you may already know this, but my house flooded on Friday. I came home from work to find the dink sink in my laundry room turned on and two towels in the sink disallowing it to drain. We think the cats did it.  Anyway, I am guessing it ran all day because when I got home from work, there was about an inch of standing water throughout my house. Thankfully about half of my house is tile, but the bedrooms (four of them) are carpet. We immediately called insurance and within an hour there was a water mitigation crew arrived and they worked quickly to clean it up. We were in a hotel for three nights, and are now back in the house - thank goodness. There is damage, but it could be worse. While we wait for the repairs to begin, I am making the most of the situation and going one room at a time, purging the unused toys, clothes, shoes, books, etc. I have to be proactive, or I might go crazy. Any personal time is gone, so even if I wanted to write, I can't. Being served lemons is such an understatement at the present time. The same day my house flooded, I woke to news that I lost a writing contest. Honestly, there were probably hundreds of entries, so I'm not surprised. I'm one week away from spring break, and it can't come soon enough. There is so much work to be done at home, but I still have to go to work every day. My children have been through a lot.

Lemonade is all I can do. I can't allow this to define me. I have to be strong for the family. We need to pick new carpet out for two rooms, and live with concrete under the carpet for the time being. My laundry is out of control, but I'm tackling it today. I don't know how people survive floods where they lose everything. I'm considerably lucky and the minimal amount of damage as is.

As far as my writing goes, I know I said I wasn't going to anymore, but let's be realistic...I can run from it but I can't hide. I just don't have the time. The things I once saw as being a big deal are now not so big anymore. I have to focus on my kids and our home. I can't think about me. I don't want to dwell any longer.

Anyway, that's an update on me. My message to you all is when life hands you lemons, make lemonade. We need to be able to see the silver lining or we drown.

1 comment:

  1. Glad y'all are back home. And I know it's not a funny situation, but I laughed a little when you said "we think the cats did it". :D

    ReplyDelete