Thursday, February 9, 2012

Things on my Mind

So, I made a decision to write for me effective February 1.  What does this mean? It means I'm making a conscious effort not to stress over being published or finding an agent as much as I have for the past year.  There are a few problems with this new goal.

1)I'm writing the sequel to Keridwen. This means that if Keridwen One doesn't get published, I'm writing K2 for essentially my shelf or computer only.

2)The more I write of K2 (working/temp title), the more I want others to read it. 

3)The itch becomes more prominent, the more real K2 becomes.

So, as much as I want to say I'm only writing for me, I'm finding it challenging to maintain my original decision.  I want Keridwen to be loved by others.  It's not about the money or just being able to say I'm published. I truly want people to read it and love it.  I want a series to come out of it.  Do I think it's the next Harry Potter? No.  I'm a realist.  HP isn't going to happen again for a LONG time.  The only other series I think that can compare to the HP craze is Lord of the Rings (not my favorite, but I can appreciate its popularity).  That being said, Lord of the Rings was written in the 1930s and 40s. That was 80 years ago, so the likely hood of us seeing the next HP series is well, unlikely.

Anyway, as a realist, I know how hard it is to get an agent. The odds are against me and every other new writer.  There are simply too many of us and only so many agents as well as publishers.  They have to be picky.  They have to be selective.  There's always the self-pup route, which is good for some, but for me, it's not what I want.  I want to hear, "this is good stuff", and "I'd like to work with you."  This means I must have patience, which I desperately try to have.  I have good days and bad. I'm human, though.  Today is today, and that's all I can ask for.  I know I must work for this if I want it, and that means enduring the bad days and appreciating the good ones.

I can say this.  I am a hard worker and open to change. Having two great CPs is such a benefit. I'm not afraid to hear something needs to change, and I'm certainly not arrogant enough to believe it's perfect as is.  In all reality, I want to hear the truth so I can learn. I want to be better.

So this was the random stuff on my mind today and thought I would share. Have a good night.

3 comments:

  1. Just write for you! That's when the magic will happen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had "the worst" happen to me and been rejected by every agent I queried my novel for (over 60 of them). I'm probably going to self-publish. It's easier nowadays than it was in the past. Agents rejecting you doesn't mean that no one will ever read your novel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll have to let me know how it goes. Limbo land over here is a little stressful and boring all at the same time. In the mean time, I write.

    ReplyDelete