Saturday, February 11, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day!

Thirteen years ago, I married my best friend.  He's my everything, and we were lucky enough to seal the deal on Valentine's Day. Now, I find the day to not only be about love, but about romance, and I'm grateful for that.

My husband is one of the most amazing men I know.  Since we got married, we've been through a lot.  He went to Bosnia to deal with landmines.  He left for training for deployment missing the birth of our first born (our daughter). He fought in Iraq during the initial push into Baghdad, which meant missing our daughter's first nine months of life. After our son was born, my husband went through two kidney reconstruction surgeries, which ultimately saved his life.  We've lived in three states, been through multiple jobs, have two beautiful children, and now we are still happy after all is said and done.  We have seen poverty at a level many have no idea. I can remember sitting on my family room floor with no furniture, eating MREs because we couldn't afford food.  We went from being dual income to single income for over a year, and made it work on what we had.  But now, we are comfortable and living with less stress. We've been through a lot.

Through 13 years, we've had ups, downs, light days and dark, but we've always had each other.  He's the person I want to see first thing in the morning and the last person I see when I go to sleep.  I want to be able to reach my foot over and touch his foot in the middle of the night just to know he's there.  He's my rock when I'm down and my strength when I'm afraid.  He is the best person for me, and I consider myself extremely lucky.

My husband does little things for me. He plucks my eyebrows and paints my nails. He knows when I twist my mouth, I'm thinking, and when I frown, I need to laugh.  He knows me better than anyone could ever know me, and I thank him for that.

I know that no matter what happens in my future with jobs, writing, schooling, etc., he will always be by my side. There are no real words to express what I'm feeling in my heart.

Even as I sit here and ramble about him, I am getting teary because I'm so happy. I love him with all my heart and can't imagine a day without him. He's my one and only Valentine.

So for all of you out there, I hope you, too, have the happiness I have.

Mike, I love you. Happy Valentine's Day and Anniversary. You've made me the happiest woman alive for 13 years, and I look forward to the rest of our lives together.

Love,
Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment