Saturday, November 5, 2011

Nano update

Before talking about myself, I must brag that I have 25 amazing high school seniors attempting NaNoWriMo this year.  We have a list of their names posted up on the wall and each day we check in with their progress. I'm so proud to have such aspiring young authors in my classes.

For me, I wasn't planning on doing NaNo, but I feel like I need to set the example in my classroom, so I am writing.  It feels great.  Day 1, I plotted out the entire story on my dry erase board in my office.  My husband and daughter were huge contributors in the brainstorming process and now I feel like I've got a very solid plan.  Day 2, I began writing chapter summaries.  I got through the first three, but family time got in the way a bit, so I had to stop there. Day 3, I started writing.  My first time hammering away at a key board in months on a new project and it was awesome.  I wrote about 1350 words that night all the while thinking ahead.  Day 4 was a bit slower.  I wrote my chapter 4 summary during the day and at night I wrote about 800 words.  Today is Day 5 and I haven't written yet, but tonight will be productive if it kills me.  As much as I want to say that the November challenge is what's pushing me along, it's not.  In reality, I don't want to let my kids down.  If they're doing it, then so am I.  What kind of teacher would I be if I quit and just watched from the sidelines?  So I'm writing.  Maybe this is what I need all the time...25 cheerleaders in the same shoes writing to meet a deadline.  We'll see.  Afterall, it's only Day 5.

Are any of you writing for NaNo? Let me know how it's going. I'd love to cheer you on as well.  Good luck and I'll check in in a few days.

1 comment:

  1. That's so awesome! Can't wait to hear about how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete