Monday, November 28, 2011

My Reads for 2011

Well, I have read quite a few books this year, some of which, I can't even remember their names, but today's blog is going to celebrate those reads.  To start, I read the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins.
What can I say about Hunger Games? It was amazing! I read the entire trilogy in about one week, devouring each word and rushing to the store for each one.  I have since recommended it to dozens of students, teachers, family members, and friends.  Now, I can't wait to see the movie.
The next books I read were the Morganville Vampires by Rachel Caine.  I've been reading about Vampires since I was a teenager starting with the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice.  After reading the Twilight series, I still wanted more leading me to this series.  I recommend it to anyone who loves fangs and blood minus the glitter.  It's rough, fun, and suspenseful all wrapped into one (or 12, but who is counting?)

Another fantastic series is the Immortals by Alyson Noel.  When I first opened Evermore, I was expecting yet another vampire series, but was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't.  Quite frankly, I needed a break for a bit.  The six book series questioned morality in a way that I found refreshing for the Young Adult genre.  When I finished the final book, Everlasting, I was pleased with the ending and the ultimate choice made. These are certainly must reads.

Even after all of these, I had time for yet another series.  I started reading the House of Night series in 2010, and have continued to the present time.  These are also about Vampires, but with a bit of a Harry Potter feel in the sense that it takes place in a school.  I've enjoyed these books as well and look forward to the conclusion of the series.

In my nonseries spare time, I read He Loves Me, He Loves You Not by Lauren Hammond.  It was a quick yet shocking read.  I enjoyed it immensely.  It's not often I am able to find a book that portrays teens in a truly real light. She captured the voice of the youth of today nicely, which is extremely refreshing in its own right.  I have found that the majority of my YA reads romanticize what it means to be a teenager, but as many of you know from reading my blogs, I work with teenagers daily.  He Love Me...is more real than anything else I have read in quite a long time. I will certainly recommend this to my students who are looking for a more realistic read in the future.

Finally, my most recent read, which I finished last night was Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.  This was certainly not YA, but it piqued my interest, so I took a break from my norm and branched out.  It took me quite some time to get through it, but in the end, it was a satisfying read. There were some rather graphic scenes I could have done without, but I can't imagine the book any other way.  I look forward to beginning yet another series.

While I am sure there are other books I have read and not mentioned, I have been pleased with each one.  I have also had the privilege of reading a few WIPs for some fellow writers I hope to see on the shelves in the next couple of years.  I also have written some of my own as well, so we will see what happens with them.  I do look forward to another year of fabulous reads.  Send your suggestions my way. I'm always looking for something new to read and spread the word about.  With 2500 students at an arm's reach, I certainly can convince a few to read with me.  Have a wonderful night! I'm going to go read.

1 comment:

  1. Loved the Hunger Games. Excellent series. Suggestions...The Shade series by Jeri Smith-Ready, Divergent by Veronica Roth, Enclave by Ann Aguirre. For contemp anything by Jennifer Echols (wasn't a fan of Love Story though), Sophie & Carter by Chelsea Fine. Just a few. :0)

    ReplyDelete