Saturday, September 10, 2011

Deadline Quickly Approaching for ePub

Update: After thinking for a long time about this endeavor, I opted to continue looking for an agent/publisher for my book.  I genuinely want to do the right thing for my book and I believe deep down going the traditional route is the right choice.

I set a September 20th deadline for my epublishing decision.  That is 10 days away! OMG! I'm working on my final edit now that my texting formatting has been taken care of.  I still need to take out the tabs to my paragraphs, but I'm going to take care of that last.  I have a cover.
Hooray for my husband making this for me.  I had no idea he could do half of the stuff he does on Powerpoint, but that's what he used to make it.  For my birthday, my mom is buying me a bundle pack of ISBNs because apparently, every format of the book requires its own ISBN.  That means I need a minimum of three if I want to sell on iBooks, Kindle, and Nook.  I still need to look into all of the format requirements, but I'm starting with Amazon.  This is such a SCARY and HUGE process.  It sounds so easy until you start.  But I'm not giving up because it's not point and click.  I'm going to go the distance. 

I tweeted that part of me wants to hire someone to do the legwork for me, but I don't want this to feel like Barbazon.  I remember as a teenager having friends who said they were models for Barbazon.  My friends paid for the pictures to be taken of them and the agency "promoted" them.  I never dealt with this agency, but I don't think a model should have to pay the photographer.  I feel the same way about my book.  Amazon doesn't make the author pay to publish; they just offer a service and keep part of the proceeds (like an agent for a print copy).  Hiring someone to do the legwork (to me) would be like paying the photographer.  It may be easier, but I don't feel as much satisfaction that way.  Anyway, enough on that topic. 
Tomorrow is football, so while the games are on, I plan on finishing my edit and testing the format on Mobi Pocket Reader.  It's actually pretty easy to use, but it's been a couple of months since I first tried it, so I'm going to have to reread the directions.  I'm learning of more and more people in my shoes and am glad to see that I'm not alone.  ePublishing is growing so quickly; I don't want to be left behind.  I read on Twitter that an agent wrote epublishing is the new query (something along those lines).  It looks as though it is gaining respect across the board. With each post, I feel more and more confident about this decision. 

Anyway, I'm off to continue working on my new adventure.  Once Love and Texts is out there, I'm going to start working on Keridwen and writing To Where and Back.  I have a lot of projects in the air at the present, but I'm happy.


4 comments:

  1. Wow, that is getting close! Hope it goes smoothly! Are you going to self pub Keridwen too? Can't wait for more To Where and Back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandie, not sure about Keridwen. It's the first in a series, so I think publishing that one will have to wait until I've started the second book. I want to start working on To Where and Back again, but I needed closure on Love and Texts first. Thanks for your constant support. You rock and I hope to be able to support you when you get published. I have no doubt you'll get an agent and see your book on the shelves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck with the countdown! Sending positive vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, that is just days away now. Good luck!! I wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete