Wednesday, August 17, 2011

OCD Organized

Ok, so a while back I wrote that I was going to be free flowing writing my current ms.  I wanted freedom.  I wanted relaxed.  I wanted to write.  Now, I feel lost.  I need an outline.  I need structure. I need to tighten up my work environment and material because free flowing just "ain't" me. 

I'm not sure how anyone is able to sit down and just write a book without some sort of outline.  I have had an outline of sorts in my head the whole time, but I need chapter summaries.  I need a skeleton to work with.  I'm too controlling not to have control. 

I was talking to a fellow teacher today and she said, "you should teach math or science because your brain just works that way." I told her I teach creative writing and English. Her response was, "that's a bit strange."  I nodded and agreed.  In class, I drew a picture on the chalkboard with my right hand.  In my left was my pencil.  My students asked if I am ambidextrous, and my response was only on the chalkboard. I know, I'm a freak.  I can make up a character and tell a little story in minutes, but I'm overly organized with six calendars on my desk at any given time (no exaggeration).

So, the point of my story today?  I am an organized writer.  Are you?  If you are, tell me about it.  If you aren't, tell me about it.  Let's talk.

6 comments:

  1. I am utterly unorganized. I just go, no plan in mind. The most I have is some characters and a start. Occasionally, I'll get the ending in mind, but for the most part, the story forms as I write. Being organized with my writing really doesn't appeal to me unless I'm organizing files into folders. Then I get obsessive about it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patricia, I wish I could just write and not feel the need to have structure. I envy that in you, bt at the same time, I'm happy to be me. Thanks for sharing with me your writing process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh no -- I have absolutely no idea where my story is going until it is done. I have a general direction I would like to steer my manuscripts in, but at the end of the day, they kind of write themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was unorganized UNTIL I had a deadline looming over me. The first book was written in spare time. The sequel must be written in bought time. Which means Excel spreadsheet, chapter by chapter synopsis, and a daily word count goal. And I HATE it. :( I'm glad you're a natural at it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right now I free form it. I summarize the chapter after I write so I have something to look at quickly. I might summarize a chapter or two ahead, but it rarely goes as planned. I also write out of order. I have 2-3 future scenes already written. When they come to me, I write and will plug in when the time comes. I know the beginning, a few things in the middle, and a possible ending, but it's all in my head. The only structure I have is giving myself a daily word count goal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I'm guessing I am a weirdo then. That's ok though because normal is boring. :) I'm not implying that any of you are boring either because I think all writers are a little off their rockers. :)

    ReplyDelete