Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Edit and Edit Some More

To say that perfection is reachable is a lie.  I don't think there is such a thing to begin with.  We are all constant works in progress. As parents, we learn through the fights, tears, laughter, and love our children give us.  As friends, we learn through the trials and tribulations of dealing with each other's idiosyncrasies.  And as writers, we grow through making mistakes.  Sometimes these mistakes come in the form of spelling errors or punctuation mishaps.  Other times they come in the form of plot turns and twists.  But regardless, we make mistakes and we learn from them.

For me, I am entering back into the realm of editing for I can't count how many times.  I'm constantly working on my new ms., but I recently learned something new about an old manuscript's formatting, so I am back to editing once again.  I'd like to say that it is a work in progress all the time.  I haven't given up hope that some day people will read it and like it, but I'm not quite ready to unleash it to the public without it being the best that it can. 

I have three fantastic critique partners working their magic on my new work, and am determined not to make a single change until I have received all three sets of comments.  The theory being that I only want to make major changes once right now, so I wait thankful for their time.  In return, I have some editing to do for one of them. (I'm sorry it's taken so long). 

Anyway, perfection.  Is it possible? No.  Do I strive for it? Always.  There's always hope. :)

2 comments:

  1. What trick did you learn? :0) Is this for Love & Texts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally got a real answer on how to format texting in a book. Now I have to go back and reformat all of them. I'm excited to make the changes so it's readable in all formats (kindle, ipad, etc.) My students in my class kept asking me because they were including texts in their stories, so I bit the bullet and asked an agent. I may have shot myself in the foot, but at least I know now how to do it. :) YAY!

    ReplyDelete