Friday, July 29, 2011

Taking a Chance on Me

OK, so first I must say that I'm giving the professional courtesy to the two agents still reviewing Love and Texts, which means that my decision is not final; however, in preparation for moving forward, I have decided to epublish All's Fair in Love and Texts should one of the two agents not offer representation.

This has been a very difficult decision to make because I've been writing, seriously, for almost five years with intent of publishing via the traditional route.  Up until about two years ago, I genuinely believed (ignorantly)that self-publishing wasn't reputable or respected, but my mind has changed along with technology.  In a time when (I'm assuming) the majority of the reading population has purchased ereaders, epublishing has boomed, and with that writers are becoming published every day.

I have written multiple books, each making me a better writer in the process, but none making it through the front door in the traditional world.  I honestly believe that this doesn't mean my books aren't worthy.  This being said, All's Fair in Love and Texts, is my favorite.  It's my baby and has grown with me as a writer.  Each time I finish something I return to it and make improvements.  Now, it is at a point where I feel it is ready beyond doubt for others to read.  I know that pleasing ALL is impossible, but it is a great book and tells a story people can relate with and be entertained.

It's so scary taking a risk, but living means taking risks and chances.  Literary agents take risks on authors every day, I am just not one of the ones chose at this time.  This doesn't make me a bad writer.  I know that.  I have friends who are agented and still not published after over a year of being offered representation.  I can't imagine working on getting an agent for three to five years and then working for another three years on finding an editor.  I'm a patient person, but I'm also getting older as are the stories I'm writing.  We are definitely in an age of instant gratification.  I buy a book on a whim, read it in a day or two, and then move on.  Waiting six years for my book to be published traditionally no longer fits that mold.  Anyone who has spent even a week in a classroom knows that kids are the same way.  They want what they want when they want it and technology is only making that time speed up.  The world is changing and I want to change with it.

This leads me to taking a chance on me.  If I won't bet on myself, how can I possibly expect others to do the same?  Epublishing is betting on myself so that others can do the same.  I will definitely keep you all posted on my progress.  It won't be today because as I said in the beginning, I'm giving the professional courtesy necessary to two agents still looking at it, but once those responses are in, the games will begin.

Wish me luck!

PS. if you haven't already, check out the trailer for All's Fair in Texts and Love....the ebook is coming soon.

5 comments:

  1. Ahh . . . good for you. Wishing you the best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it! I have faith in you. Hey, look at Amanda Hocking! Worked for her, could do the same for you. And so many people have ereaders. You will reach a lot of people that way, if you choose!
    P.S. I changed my blog URL. It's now http://mandiebaxter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The publishing world is a different place today than it was a year or two ago. People are finding success in ways once thought impossible. I wish you all the luck in the world and, of course, you have at least one reader already in me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok so this is much harder than I could even imagine. This may have to hold a bit. Maybe it's a sign I'm not supposed to epublish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it takes a whole lot of courage to step outside the traditional route and dive into something else. I know several people who are doing fabulously well and VERY happy going a non-traditional route.

    I wish you the best of luck on your endeavors! May they be great and very successful ones!!!

    Fabulous blog by the way!!

    ReplyDelete