Friday, July 22, 2011

Education

So, I really wanted to write something profound on my blog, but I'm having a hard time thinking of something good.  School starts in two weeks, and I can NOT wait.  My kids are bored and getting antsy as am I.  I went to the school yesterday and brought them with me, which two hours later, we were all sweaty and tired wanting nothing more than to go home.  Today, we finished school supply shopping and I have to say that $200 in supplies seems excessive.  I couldn't believe how much each child needed.  Their lists had to the usual on them, but not they need hand sanitizer, Ziploc bags, wipes, air freshener.  I couldn't believe it.  I bought it all because I don't want my kids to be the ones without, but seriously...air freshener?  If you think about it, if all kids brought one can, the teacher would have thirty cans of air freshener for the school year.  We're only in school for 9 months.  How on earth are you going through that much spray?  And what about the kids with allergies?  Do they not have a say regarding what is sprayed in the air? The same goes for hand sanitizer.  Two each makes 60! It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me with these numbers, but I bought it anyway.  This brings me to think about my list I have on my syllabus.  The only strange request I have is one ream of copy paper (not required but requested).  Last year, my school ran out of paper with three months left, so the copy paper came in handy when printing in the library or just making copies in general.  It blows my mind that it came to donations to keep printing.

I read in Parenting Magazine this morning that the US is ranked extremely low worldwide for education.  I can say that it's not the teachers pulling down the rankings.  It's the money or lack thereof.  We can't keep teachers in the business if the teachers can't afford to pay their bills because salaries are frozen or constantly getting cut.  I realize that people say we get paid too much because we only "work" 9 months of the year, but seriously, I can tell you my day starts at 6:30 (school starts at 7:30) and I get to leave the building at 3:00, but the grading comes with me as does the planning.  We don't get paid for our planning periods and we get a 40 minute lunch.  Unlike "real" jobs, we only get to use the restroom between classes which is a five minute time period since we can't leave students unattended.  I know I sound like I'm complaining, but I want to assure you that I'm not.  I love teaching and my job.  I just wish that we could make our system better and raise the rankings.  It would be nice to be in a respected and competitive profession.

Ok, that's it for today.  I know this wasn't about writing, but it's what I'm thinking about. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment