Monday, June 27, 2011

Two Sides to Every Coin

So I'm on vacation with my family at my in-laws.  Our first day was supposed to be a 14 hour drive.  Well, it didn't quite go down the way we had planned.  We always take my car, which is a 2008 Nissan.  It only has 27,000 miles on it because I only drive like 15 miles a day total, but we put the big miles on when we drive from Arizona to California twice a year.  So we leave at 5:00am and everything's fine.  But about 4 hours in, my husband gets pulled over by a police officer for speeding in a construction zone.  Fantastic! thankfully, he got a verbal warning.  Thank you so much!  :) Well, we continued on.  We are about eight hours in, just past Palm Springs.  My car stops shifting gears.  We pull off the I-10 to a gas station and are able to turn off and back on the car, but we are barely able to get into the next parking lot before my car loses Drive altogether.  My transmission is shot.  I call my insurance and arrange for a tow truck, which is going to tow us to the dealership 20 miles away, but in the right direction.  Once there, we are told that we will need to get one of their rental cars, at their expense thanks to the warranty.  Then we left and continued our drive for another 6 hours hoping there would be no other incident.  We were wrong.  We were driving through Los Angeles attempting to get onto the 210 to circumvent downtown, but got stuck in the diamond lane, almost side-swiped a Lexus and were pushed onto the 101 which took us through downtown traffic.  It sucked!  Our 14 hour drive turned into 16 1/2.  Once we arrived at my in-laws, we were finally able to relax.  Our horrible day turned better with just a cup of tea and good conversation. That was Saturday.

Yesterday, we had a BBQ with both sets of parents and the neighbors.  It was wonderful.  We got to meet our six month old nephew and had a great time enjoying the mid 70s wonderful weather outside. My children are hilarious to everyone, which makes me sooo happy, but I have to say today was such a demonstration of there being two sides within minutes.  I said to my son, "please go help your Mum-mum with your DSi.  He grunts at me, but then is sweet as pie to her all in one breath.  I just about came unglued.  I couldn't believe the "two-faced" ability of a six year old and then my daughter followed suit. WHATEVER! :) I guess it's the price of parenting. 

Tomorrow, my husband and I are venturing out on our first outing away from the kids for more than one night.  We are going to Las Vegas for four days and three nights.  We haven't been on a vacation since our honeymoon 12 years ago, so we are extremely excited.  I've been to Vegas many times with my mom, but my husband has never been there as an adult.  I can't wait to be his official tour guide.  He's going to love it.

Anyway, I know this isn't about writing, but I had to share about the beginning of my vacay.  I hope no one goes through the drive we did.  Well, I'm off for the night because we have to get up early.  I will post again with pictures of Sin City.

Sleep well!

PS they tried to run a diagnostic on my car, but can't figure out how to get my car out of Drive. LOL!They're going to try again tomorrow.  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Oh me oh my! I've been wondering how the vaca has been going. Glad y'all made it there in one piece (except for the car). Hope your having LOTS of fun! Can't wait for pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete