Monday, June 20, 2011

Coming Out of the Dark

Well, I've been too busy to blog this week as my town is on fire. 

It's been quite the ride since last Sunday.  For those of you who don't know, I live in Southern Arizona in Sierra Vista, which is the town now known world wide for being in danger thanks to the Monument Fire.  It started courtesy of a human (that's what the police say) on Sunday and has now burned over 27,000 acres of land in one of the most beautiful areas in the country.  We're known for star gazing, bird watching, and the monsoons, but wind comes with it.  The wind has been quite the problem for the over 700 firefighters, especially yesterday with the 60mph gusts. 

On Friday, a second fire started and came within a 1/2 mile of our house.  It was extremely scary as we were packing up what we thought was irreplaceable.  For the first time, we had to really think about and decide what in our house we really cared about - aside from children and animals. :)  We were packed to leave when the fire was contained, so thankfully, we didn't actually have to leave.  Thank God!
This was the view from our front yard during the Antelope Fire, which lasted 3 hours.


When the small fire was contained and put out, we went to explore.  This was what we found up the road from our house (1/2 mile away):

I couldn't believe how close it came to our home, but I'm glad that I was able to pack everything up that I wanted to discovering what it is I would grab should our town catch on fire. (Isn't that the question that always comes up?  If your house was on fire, what would you grab?)

Anyway, now that we're out of the wind, it looks like they should be able to gain a little more containment on the fire, so I feel like I can breathe again.  The fire is still like 12 miles from my house and 10,000 people are still evacuated from their homes, while another 10K give or take are on pre-evacuation, but for the first time in 8 days, I'm feeling hopeful.  I'm also missing being a writer.  I haven't done anything on the writing front for over a week, and I feel like something is missing from me.  It's got to be my writing.  So, I am making an effort to write by starting with my blog I've neglected for a week. 

Have a wonderful week everyone and stay safe...
Here are some more pics for those of you who are curious....
aerial shot of what's burned already

fire coming down the mountain

the night view

the slurry planes6/20

the Antelope fire building steam near my house 6/17
the fire from my backyard


from the actual fire....a graduate of mine sent this to me

more smoke on the mountain

Please keep in mind that these pictures are out of order, but were all taken this past week.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! How scary! I'm glad you and your family are all okay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sara! We are doing quite well. My concerns now are for my friends. :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey...you changed your blog! I like it!!! I need someone to teach me how to do these super awesome blogs!

    So glad y'all are safe! The pictures are crazy scary.

    Get back to writing! :0) As much as you can. Let me know if ya need anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mandie! The pictures are nothing...maybe I will add some more for you guys to see. It's been CRAZY! I may get back to working on my ms tomorrow. Thanks for the support...ooh and I'm glad you like my new layout.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Those pictures. It looks like such a beautiful place. Really stinks the fires are there ruining it all. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! I couldn't even imagine having to decide what in my home is important to me. Everything comes with a memory attached.

    Scary stuff. I'm so glad you're all okay!

    ReplyDelete