Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Apple Pie Deception

Last year, my neighbor gave me so many zucchinis from her garden, I searched for creative recipes to incorporate them into our meals.  My aunt gave me a recipe for Zucchini Apple Pie, and though I was extremely hesitant to make it, I did and was amazed at how delicious it was.  My family devoured the pie, so I made a second one for my neighbor and didn't tell her what was in it until she and her family ate it.  I simply told her it was an apple pie.  Well, they LOVED it, so I broke it her that there are NO apples in the pie at all - it's all zucchinis. 

So, on twitter, one of the tweeps I follow was talking about making an apple pie for the first time and I immediately thought about my aunt's recipe and how it could relate to my writing.  The thing is, it really does.  This pie is deceptively delicious.   It's a totally new concept (for me at least) and surprised me with how traditional it tasted in the end still satisfying my taste buds making me grateful I ate it.  My book All's Fair in Love and Texts is equally new and exciting (in my opinion and my teen betas').  It's new in the sense that it incorporates texting throughout the book.  This, I have found, is so new that even my current critique partner has no idea texts should be formatted - should they be italicized, bold, quotes, etc.  I chose to change their font and treat it like dialogue.  It follows a traditional pattern in high school life, but uses a new dialect becoming the standard in real life.  This is like my apple pie.  It's traditionally apple flavored, but filled with zucchini, a healthier choice.  It may be scary to try out, but well worth it in the end.  I am still in a state of calm, but I do hope that an agent will take a chance on Love and Texts.  I do believe it is as delicious and inspiring as a slice of apple pie.

For those of you thinking, I'd like to try that apple pie, I have included the recipe below.

Zucchini Apple Pie
4 cups sliced zucchini (from bigger zucchinis)
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
dash of salt
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tarter
pie dough...top and bottom

Peel and cut zucchini length wise, remove seeds.  Cut in slices.  Boil until tender and drain.  then put in ice water for 5 minutes and drain again.  Mix carefully with all the other ingredients.

Place in 9" pie shell, dot with butter and cover with the top crust.
Bake 400 degrees for 20 minutes, then 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until done.

Note: When you have all ingredients mixed together, it will be really juicy.  The flour will take of it when baked. 

So there is the recipe.  Please let me know if you make it and what you thought.  I look forward to the comments.
Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment