Friday, April 22, 2011

Where Does the Time Go?

I know I am not the only writer looking to be agented/published who holds a job as well, so this post will not be new for many, but I just want to share a day in my life.  Typically, I wake up at 5:30am to grade for my online class before getting ready for my real job, high school English teacher.  School here starts at 7:30am, so my day must start earlier than most teachers.  Once I get to school, regular teacher stuff goes on: planning, prepping, teaching, discipline, parenting, counseling, etc.  The benefit of starting early is we get out early.  School ends at 2:30, so I'm usually heading to my car by 3:00. :) I know, it doesn't seem like a long day, but I can assure you it doesn't end there.  Then I go grocery shopping or post office or bank or whatever errand I can get done and be home by 3:30 where I relieve my babysitter who has picked up my children from school (they get out at 1:40; don't even get me started on the cuts taking place in education and the negative affects on our children). At that point, I greet my two beauties and make snacks, check homework, check on behavior reports from teachers.  All finished with that, I move back to my computer for more online facilitation (I teach an online class for aspiring teachers).  Once caught up there, I make dinner, greet husband, bathe kids or rather beg them to take showers, clean the house as best I can, get kids to bed, and finally sit on the couch for television.  If at that point, I'm not exhausted, I pull out my laptop and write.

This weekend, I am fortunate to have a four day weekend for Easter, so I am cleaning the house today (Friday) with hopes to read a book this weekend.  Love and Texts is being critiqued currently, so as the pages come in, I break for revisions.  We'll see how that goes.  Currently, I am taking a break from cleaning because I am scared of my kitchen and don't want to face it, so I am "killing time" by posting a blog.  It's not a very interesting blog today, but I thought I'd share a little about myself with all of you.

I am sure some of you are thinking, "When does she write?"  Well, I do the bulk of my actual writing during the summer when I don't have to be at school.  The rest of the school year I spend editing and revising.  I realize that doesn't give me a chance to write more than one or two books a year, but realistically, I don't have an agent yet, so until I feel that pressure, I am taking my time.  Weekends are also a great time for me to write because my husband helps with the kids and I can bounce ideas off of him.

I really don't have it any worse than most.  I love my life and feel blessed to have a family, a job, and a passion.  Making it balance can be rough, but I truly believe that multi-tasking is my strength.  So, then question to you all, how do you balance writing into your lives?

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to your responses.
J

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jamie,I'm feeling your pain. I'm also up at 5:30 a.m.. I work a ten hour job, and with the commute I get home 12 hrs later. Then it's spending quality time with the kiddies and hubby until 9 p.m. when they go to bed. That's when I write, sometimes until 12 or 1 a.m.

    Weekends are better, but not much. I'm still holding tightly to my "someday" dream when I'll retire and write for a living.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do most of my writing in the morning. I get up at 4:00 and don't have to leave the house until 7:45. So, I write then. Plus if I have enough time at the end of my day, I sometimes write then too. but I mostly take advantages of breaks from school (like this one) to write as much as I can.

    ReplyDelete