Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Power of a Critique

I have to share because I am so excited about my new query letter.  About a month ago, I won an auction for a query critique from a successfully published author.  Well, we have been through four drafts and finally, my query for All's Fair in Love and Texts is finished and we both love it.  I sent it to four agents a few minutes ago hoping that we worked real magic on it.  This process has been invaluable and I am so grateful to have had a wonderful experience.  I was partially expecting a one time feedback situation, but she was so helpful and requested draft after draft until it was solid.  I would share who it was with, but I think keeping things anonymous is probably the most professional route being I didn't get her permission to talk about her, but I can say it was wonderful.

My advice to all is to get a critique partner and numerous betas for any work.  I realize I am still in the agent searching process and am far from an expert on this whole thing, but my query looks like a million dollars now.  As far as the manuscript goes, it is going through seven betas right now and has already been through five others.  The feedback is both insightful and instrumental in creating the best possible work.  I just hope it looks the same for an agent out there.  I am crossing my fingers, toes, and anything else I can.

The tide is changing for me and I am done with my pity party.  Once again, I look forward to moving on and getting published.

1 comment:

  1. I hope that query letter hooks some fish! How nice that you have such a team of beta readers working hard for you, too.

    ReplyDelete