Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Value of Thank You

As a teacher, I realize that I have a thankless job. I don't expect thank you's everyday if at all, and I don't complain about that because I know that the real reward is when I see my kids crossing the stage at graduation, pass their state tests, or quite frankly read a book for the first time. The one a year thank you is awesome and greatly appreciated but in know way expected.

As I enter in the writing world, I've come across quite a few people whether it be other writers, assistants, agents, etc. I make it a point to say thank you whenever I receive even a sentence of help since this is foreign territory. I don't expect anything in return, but common courtesy is to say thank you, as I try to do.

Interestingly, I recently said thank you and was then blocked from the recipient's twitter account. I have to say that it was a bit disturbing. Is hearing thank you that offensive now because we have become a thankless society? If so, that is extremely sad. Is this what our world is coming to? Are we becoming people who do not know how to respond when someone shows appreciation by saying thanks? Is it that hard to take that extra 30 seconds to say you're welcome? I don't expect a you're welcome, but being blocked is like saying "you're a psycho" which I am surely not. I was just raised well and taught to always be courteous. Anyway, I suppose I can climb down from my soap box. I just wanted to put it out there to the space that a little kindness can take you a long way...or in my case, you can be blocked on twitter. I hold no hard feelings and will not be bringing it up again, now that it's off my chest.

I hope any reader of this has a great night and says thank you from now on. We really need to try to improve as a society one at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment