Thursday, March 10, 2011

Rambling

Hi again, today my beta reader gave me some great suggestions, which I gladly took and used. I really hope that these changes push me far enough away from the similarities to make someone want to request a partial or cross my fingers a full.  Thank you to my beta!

Today, it dawned on me how much I love writing.  As much as it is a horrible waiting game, I don't think I could ever give it up.  I look back at my life (thus far) and realize that I have been writing since I was in the third grade.  It started with little stories on index cards, and didn't progress until my tenth grade English teacher gave us an assignment to write a short story.  I can remember sitting at my computer and writing the whole thing in one night on my Commodore 64 and printing it out with my dot matrix printer. 

In college, I took a workshop as an elective and changed majors shortly after to English.  I love it.  I can tell when I haven't written in a while because I get moody.  It's the ultimate therapy.  The best part about it is including a little of myself and then doing something I would never do in real life.  The possibilities are endless. 

Now, I am faced with the possibility of teaching a Creative Writing course at my school and I wonder if I am the right person to do it.  I'm the only one with a degree in CW and I have been published with a short story - once.  Still, I don't know if I am prepared to critique others when I am having a hard time even getting an agent.  These are just some thoughts.

Another random though...a student asked me why I don't self publish and my answer was simple.  Anyone can self publish with enough money.  I want someone to publish me based on merit and not my financial backing. If I never find an agent, then it's not meant to be, but I know that one day I will.  I will never give up. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment